Without a doubt, my favorite bars are “The Simply Bar“. They have a 1:1 ration of protein to carbs, they range from 150-160 caloires. Perfect for a snack mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
Becuase i’m based in the west coast, I have to order them online and have to pay for shipping ($14…ouch!). This means I have to be more organized than I often am and that I have to be at the tipping point of frustration wiht my locally available options. As I’m not yet at that tipping point, I thought I’d try a few other protein bar options.
- Less than 200 calories
- Close to 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs
- Not too many ingredients i can’t pronounce
- No aspartame
- More fiber is preferable to less
Here’s what I’ve tried out so far:
- NuGO Slim – Brownie Crunch
- OK. Innoffensive, didn’t taste like a brownie, or chocolate…. but also didn’t taste like chemicals (a frequent complaint)
- 190 calories (bit on the high side); 16g protein (good, not great), 19g carbs… higher than i’d like, but the 7g fiber but this into ‘ok’ territory for me
- Added bonus — Gluten free
- Atkins — any flavour
- Couldn’t do it… the ingredient list was too chemically oriented for me. What’s the deal with all the sugar alcohol?
I have a stockpile of options in my suitcase for the week… stay tuned for other otpions.